Friday, March 9, 2012

Vending Machines: Communism, Genocide, and the Devil

Two days ago I arrived to work famished (not an unusual experience). Unfortunately the closest place to buy food is a Maverick gas station across the street that charges outrages prices for anything. In addition, there is never anything there other than junk food. Any other place to buy food would take longer than 15 minutes to walk to, so I found myself resorting to the vending machines. As normal the Pop Tarts caught my eye at only a dollar a package.



It wasn't until I was sitting down and enjoying my Pop Tart that I realized something... I could get three Pop Tart packages for a dollar had I gone to the grocery store! It's not like this is the first time I've noticed that vending machines are expensive, but what surprised me was that I used a vending machine from work. It is true that we pay for convenience and I am not opposed to somebody making money by marking up food in vending machines but when the very employers that are trying to encourage you to stay with their company and provide a happy workplace are making a killing off of you at the same time! It all just seems so wrong.

In reality, what's a dollar these days? Not too much. I could buy something from expensive vending machines every day and still be alright financially. It's just that there is some sort of psychological effect that disgusts us when we have to pay double what we know something to be worth. It is a little thing but makes such a huge difference.

I once worked at a law firm that sold soda cans at 50 cents... I don't even like soda, but I bought soda anyways because I felt like it was such a steal!

For all the effort put in to programs to improve the workplace atmosphere it just surprises me that some companies still decide to rip off there own employees with vending machines.  Wouldn't it be great if they could just sell the products for about what they bought them for? I understand a little markup for the maintenance and upkeep of the machine but I highly doubt that warrants marking up a product by double.

I've heard rumors that Google has lots of vending machines on their campus and that everything is free in all of them. I can only imagine such a place! I don't expect anyone to give me free food but I have to say that that is one innovative way of trying to encourage people to stay with them. Not having to pay for food does more to make a person feel at home than most other things.

I've got one last thing to say concerning vending machines. Why do they only have crappy food? They have a whole assortment of microwaveable burritos, but why do they never have those microwaveable vegetable packages?  In light of capitalism, I can see why profit making vending machines are selling crap. Because crap sells good. But most the time at work, all I want is something slightly healthier so I don't feel like I'm clogging up my arteries. Sandwiches are a good idea and I'd like to see the vending world expand there, but I'm afraid we have a long ways to go.


Don't be used by the vending machines! Use the vending machine!




Credit: Title idea came from Jesse Thomas

No comments:

Post a Comment